Father’s Day Weekend

Posted on

Last weekend, my family and I traveled about 80 miles down to the road to Williamsburg, VA for the weekend.  It was my husband’s first Father’s Day and it was nice and relaxing. We stayed in a nice cottage at the Kingsmill resort. We spent the days by the pool and the nights in good company.  It was my son’s first time traveling overnight and I was really nervous how he would do, but he slept great!

My son's first overnight trip!

My son’s first overnight trip!

One thing that didn’t cooperate too well was my health.  On Friday, it was about 100 degrees outside and HUMID.  I’m used to my air conditioned 70 degree house so it was an adjustment.  We went to the pool and I spent the first 30 minutes or so in the pool until it was time to eat lunch.  I ate a burger and fries and stupidly got back in the pool.  After another 15 minutes or so, my stomach started to not feel so hot.  I thought it was just because I was so stressed about my son’s schedule so my husband took him back to the room to put him to bed for a nap and I tried to relax.

However, within about 2 minutes my stomach started to get really upset.  I quickly rushed backed to the room where I got violently ill (vomiting and diarrhea).  It was not fun.  I have no idea what happened other than a perfect storm of heat, greasy lunch, not drinking enough water (I hadn’t had any water that day), going in the pool after eating and breastfeeding.  I spent the rest of the afternoon feeling pretty weak, hardly able to get any food down but by dinner time, I was starting to get my appetite back.

On Saturday, I was feeling better.  I made sure I drank a LOT of water that morning before heading to the pool.  I spent about an hour in the pool with my son and my husband thought that my son might have had enough of the pool (and sun) so we got out and I decided I should probably test and I was 54 mg/dl!  Good thing I got out when I did!  I drank some OJ (of course I forgot low treats so had to order and OJ at the bar) and then got back in the water.  About an hour later, we decided it was lunchtime so I got out to eat and test my blood sugar and I was STILL low, 60 mg/dl.  I guess with the heat I wasn’t feeling the low symptoms too well.  I’m not sure why I was so low and couldn’t come up but I am thinking the heat might have had something to do with it.

Other than my health issues, it was a really nice, relaxing mini-vacation.  It was great to spend time with family and my son had a blast in the pool.  I just wish my diabetes behaved a little better.

Nice mini-vaca at Williamsburg, VA

Nice mini-vaca at Williamsburg, VA

Leave a Reply