On Wednesday, I listed some of the guidelines I have been following while pregnant. There are so many things to keep in mind when you are growing a baby in your belly. When I found out I was pregnant the only real guideline I knew was that I couldn’t drink alcohol or have sushi. I did a ton of reading to educate myself and I relied on several great resources to help guide me. Here are some of my favorite resources for pregnancy and Type 1 Diabetes:
- Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-Existing Diabetes by Cheryl Alkon
- What to Expect When You’re Expecting by Heidi Murkoff
- JDRF’s Pregnancy Toolkit
- BabyBump (app)
- What to Expect (app and website)
- babycenter: My Pregnancy (app and website)
- Pregnant Chicken – very funny website-I love getting her weekly emails
- Fit Pregnancy – this is a new one to me, I follow them on Twitter and they always post good links
- Diabetes Sisters (could be more in the blog category)
- My Fitness Pal – not necessarily a resource for information but key to managing my diabetes (carb counting) while pregnant
- My Days (ovulation app)
- Pregnancy weight gain calculators: BabyCenter and Calculator.net
- Kerri at Six Until Me
- Jacquie at Typical Type 1
- Kim at Texting My Pancreas
- Liz at Life or Something Like It (pregnant now!)
- Jen at See Jen Dance (pregnant now!)
- Rhonda at Fifteen Wait Fifteen
- Christel at The Perfect D
- Local classes at my hospital – My hospital has offered a ton of pregnancy classes. I’ve attended three so far and they’ve all been really good. I highly recommend going if your hospital offers these.
- Integrated Diabetes Services – When I found out I was pregnant, I didn’t have a very good endo (I now have a great one). I was completely overwhelmed with how to handle my diabetes while pregnant so a diabetes friend mentioned IDS and they have been amazing! I seriously wouldn’t be surviving my pregnancy without Jenny at IDS-if you decide to go with them, tell them I referred you 🙂
- Diabetes Meetups – I mentioned Diabetes Sisters above but with my local Diabetes Sisters chapter, a girl in my group had a baby recently so she has provided me with a lot of great information. Also, I had a meet up with a local Insulindependence group and a girl in that group also had a baby recently. She was actually the very first person I told I was pregnant because I was worried about how my blood sugars had been when I found out I was pregnant.
- Cord Blood Banking – I was contacted by Katie, an Awareness Advocate, at The Cord Blood Center to include her website on this list. I personally haven’t formed an opinion on cord blood banking so I was hesitant to include this but the website does provide a lot of information if you are looking to go this route or want to learn more.
I found Alkon’s Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-Existing Diabetes to be a very informative book. The book has some great information and guidelines and also includes stories of women who had diabetes while pregnant. While Alkon’s book was great, I wouldn’t read it alone. I think the What to Expect When You’re Expecting is a great compliment to Alkon’s book and I wouldn’t read one without the other.
There are lots of pregnancy apps out there. I downloaded/bought a couple of duds. The ones listed above are the ones I reference pretty frequently and like. The apps/websites also include an option to have emails sent to you on a daily basis. I actually really like these (even though they get to be a bit much if I don’t stay on top of my email) because they are pretty short and include a quick paragraph to tell me about the stage of pregnancy I am in.
I’m sure I’m missing some more great resources…what websites/books have you read that have been helpful with your pregnancy and Type 1 diabetes?