Having a positive attitude is important . . . but let’s face it, diabetes isn’t all sunshine and roses (or glitter and unicorns, for that matter). So today let’s vent by listing ten things about diabetes that we hate. Make them funny, make them sarcastic, make them serious, make them anything you want them to be!!
Diabetes, 10 things I hate about you:
- That you never go away
- That you wake me up at 3AM pretty much every night with my CGM alert telling me I’m high
- That because of my infusion set sites, my tummy looks pretty lumpy and gross (I swear there is a 6 pack hiding underneath there somewhere)
- That a large portion of my disposable income goes towards you (medical bills, supplies, etc.)
- That is it difficult to get insurance because of you (especially being part of a small business)
- That I always have to carry supplies with me (low supplies, extra batteries, test strips, etc.) I wish I could carry a small purse like other people
- That I can’t exercise without worrying about you (am I too high or too low to run?)
- That I can’t eat a meal without worrying about consequences (did I bolus too much or too little, did I count the carbs correctly)
- That my fingers have more holes in them than swiss cheese
- That I have to be pretty close to perfect to be able to have a baby so I don’t increase the risk of issues for the baby
But to have a Julia Styles moment (although I won’t go as far as she does), I don’t hate that you made me healthier (despite the non functioning pancreas). If it wasn’t for you, I probably wouldn’t be eating as healthy or exercising as much. Because of you, I have become a healthier person. I sometimes joke that I should have lower health insurance because I am probably healthier than the average American.